Official Title: “A Phase II Study of Doxorubicin, Cisplatin, and 5-Fluorouracil in Patients With Advanced Adenocarcinoma of the Stomach or Esophagus”
The purpose of this study is to collect information on the anti-tumor activity of the combination doxorubicin, cisplatin, and 5-fluorouracil when given to patients with advanced esophageal or gastric adenocarcinoma. We will also be collecting information about the side effects and safety of this combination.
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design: Allocation: Non-Randomized, Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study, Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment, Masking: Open Label, Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Study Primary Completion Date: January 2006
Detailed Clinical Trial Description
- Patients will receive cisplatin and doxorubicin intravenously once every 3 weeks. In addition to cisplatin and doxorubicin, patients will receive 5-fluorouracil intravenously as a continuous infusion for the duration of the study. In order to do this, patients will receive an infusion pump that can be carried with them. Treatment cycles will be repeated every 21 days for a maximum of 8 cycles.
- Prior to enrollment in this study and while the patient is receiving the therapy, routine blood tests and x-ryas (including chest x-rays and CT scans) will be performed to check the body's response to the treatment. Blood tests will be checked once a week and chest x-rays and CT scans will be checked every 6 weeks.
- Patients with progressive disease or intolerable side effects will be removed from the study. Patients with stable disease or tumor response will continue therapy for a maximum of 8 cycles.
Interventions Used in this Clinical Trial
- Drug: Doxorubicin
- Drug: Cisplatin
- Drug: 5-fluorouracil
Outcome Measures for this Clinical Trial
- To determine the activity of doxorubicin, cisplatin and continuous infusion of 5-fluorouracil in patients with measurable, locally unresectable or metastatic adenocarcinoma of the stomach, GE junction, or esophagus.
- Assess the safety of doxorubicin, cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil when given in combination to treat this patient population
- evaluate the survival of this patient population.
Criteria for Participation in this Clinical Trial
- Measurable, locally unresectable or metastatic adenocarcinoma of the stomach, GE junction or esophagus
- No more than one prior chemotherapy regimen
- ECOG performance status of < or equal to 2
- Life expectancy > 12 weeks
- ANC > 1,500/mm3
- Hemoglobin > 9.0 gm/dl
- Platelets > 100,000/mm3
- SGOT < 3 x ULN
- Total bilirubin < 2.0 mg/dl
- Creatinine < 1.5 mg/dl
- Prior cisplatin or doxorubicin as neoadjuvant or adjuvant therapy with in 1 year of study entry
- Clinically apparent central nervous system metastases or carcinomatous meningitis
- Myocardial infarction in the past 6 months
- Major surgery in the past 2 weeks
- Uncontrolled serious medical or psychiatric illness
- Pregnant or lactating women
- Concurrent malignancy of any site, except limited basal cell carcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the skin or carcinoma in situ of the cervix
- History or clinical evidence of congestive heart failure
Gender Eligibility for this Clinical Trial: Both
Minimum Age for this Clinical Trial: 18 Years
Maximum Age for this Clinical Trial: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted for this Clinical Trial: No
Clinical Trial Investigator Information
- Lead Sponsor
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Overall Official(s)
- Matthew Kulke, MD, Principal Investigator, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute