Official Title: “The CALGB Leukemia Tissue Bank”
RATIONALE: Collecting and storing samples of blood, bone marrow, and DNA from other tissues from patients with cancer to study in the laboratory may help in the study of cancer.
PURPOSE: This laboratory study is collecting and storing blood, bone marrow, and other samples from patients with acute leukemia, chronic leukemia, or myelodysplastic syndromes.
- Study Type: Observational
- Study Design: N/A
Detailed Clinical Trial Description
- Collect and store specimens from newly diagnosed patients with acute or chronic leukemia or myelodysplastic syndromes enrolled on a CALGB protocol.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study.
Bone marrow aspirate and blood specimens are obtained from patients at diagnosis, remission, or relapse and stored. Buccal smears are obtained at diagnosis, and DNA is extracted and preserved.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: Samples from approximately 1,500 patients will be collected for this study within 5 years.
Interventions Used in this Clinical Trial
- Other: biologic sample preservation procedure
Outcome Measures for this Clinical Trial
- Collection and storage of specimens from newly diagnosed patients with acute or chronic leukemia or myelodysplastic syndromes enrolled on a CALGB protocol
- Safety Issue?: No
Criteria for Participation in this Clinical Trial
- One of the following diagnoses:
- Acute leukemia
- Chronic leukemia
- Myelodysplastic syndrome
- Newly diagnosed disease
- Enrolled on a CALGB treatment protocol
- Must enroll on this study before receiving any therapy for malignancy
- Not specified
PRIOR CONCURRENT THERAPY:
- Not specified
Gender Eligibility for this Clinical Trial: Both
Minimum Age for this Clinical Trial: N/A
Maximum Age for this Clinical Trial: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted for this Clinical Trial: No
Clinical Trial Investigator Information
- Lead Sponsor
- Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology
- National Cancer Institute (NCI)
- Overall Official(s)
- Michael A. Caligiuri, MD, Study Chair, Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center
Citations Reporting on Results
Liu TH, Raval A, Chen SS, Matkovic JJ, Byrd JC, Plass C. CpG island methylation and expression of the secreted frizzled-related protein gene family in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer Res. 2006 Jan 15;66(2):653-8.